Start at Home- These are strategies that your family can implement right now!
The goal of weight management is to stabilize weight while promoting normal growth and development. Patients who have an elevated BMI will see a gradual decrease overtime.
- Consume lots of fruits & vegetables, at least 5 or more servings each day.
- Limit screen time. Think about what your child could be doing instead?
- Physical activity most days out of the week. Play with friends, sign up for a sport of activity!
- Get rid of sugar sweetened beverages. Ex: soda, energy drinks, lemonade, caffeine drinks, etc.
- Eat breakfast everyday and don’t skip meals!
- Limit fast food and make better choiced when going out to eat. Skip the soda, grilled vs. fried, and check the nutrition facts.
Structured Support- We’re here to help!
This avenue is for families who have made changes but are not seeing the results they are looking for. Structured support targets the same behaviors at home but provides more support from a professional. Here’s what we can do together:
- Develop a meal schedule to prevent unnecessary snacking.
- Discuss appropriate portion sizes based on individual needs.
- Exercise/ activity recommendations.
- REview strategies for optimal hydration.
- Meal modeling and meal guidance.
- Formulate a plan to ensure nutritional needs are met.
At Potomac Pediatrics, our dietitian Heather Marko, MS, RD, LD and certified health coach, Allison Kunk can help you reach your dietary and fitness goals.