Primary Care Psychiatry is a program that allows children who are experiencing emotional or behavioral health concerns to receive basic psychiatric care within their medical home. You may be referred by one of our providers or you may self refer if you are a patient at Potomac Pediatrics. Adair Parr, MD, a board certified pediatric psychiatrist, will evaluate your child and initiate a treatment plan. Evaluations may include multiple visits and/or testing using standardized tools. Treatment plans may include medications, referrals for therapy or even referrals to a specialist psychiatrist. Ideally, once your child is stabilized, ongoing care will be provided by your doctor at Potomac Pediatrics.
Candidates for this service include:
- Patients who are currently seeing a psychiatrist and are stable on their current medications and can safely transfer to the primary care setting (see list of medicines which do not fit into this category).
- Patients with symptoms of anger, sadness, irritability, worries or school performance issues that need an initial assessment.
- Patients with ADHD who are currently being treated by our physicians and are not responding adequately to medication.
How does it work?
Dr. Adair Parr, our psychiatrist, will evaluate your child, confirm the diagnosis, if one exists, and develop a treatment plan. The next steps will either be follow up visits with her or transfer back to your pediatrician with treatment plan recommendations. Patients referred to the psychiatrist who have significant ongoing diagnostic or therapeutic challenges will be ineligible for our services and will be referred to an outside psychiatrist or other mental health provider. Our goal is to stabilize your child on the new treatment regimen and transfer them back to their pediatrician who will oversee their continued treatment.
The following medications are not appropriate for our Primary Care Psychiatry program:
- Self-pay rate is $250/hour
- We are currently in the process of credentialing with the following insurance companies: CareFirst, Aetna, and United Healthcare. Upon completion of the contracting phase, patients will be subject to specialist copays, deductibles, and/or coinsurance per your individual policy. Practice policies regarding copays and deductible deposits due at the time of service will apply.
- Until credentialing is finalized with your carrier patients will be self-pay at the time of service. Upon completion of the credentialing claims will be submitted to your insurance company. Once claims are processed and received back your credit card will be refunded minus any copay, deductibles, or coinsurance that is assigned to patient responsibility.
- Please be advised Cigna is not currently offering primary care psychiatry contracts. All Cigna patients will be self-pay.
INTAKE PHQ-9 SCARED-CHILD SCARED-PARENT
VANDERBILT FOLLOW UP-PARENT
VANDERBILT FOLLOW UP- TEACHER