Vaginitis is an inflammation of the vagina that can result in discharge, itching and pain. The cause is usually a change in the normal balance of vaginal bacteria or an infection. Vaginitis symptoms may include:
- Change in color, odor or amount of discharge from your vagina
- Vaginal itching or irritation
- Painful urination
- Light vaginal bleeding
- Soak in warm bath water with ¼ cup of baking soda sprinkled in.
- Avoid bubble baths, hot tubs and whirlpool spas. Rinse soap from your outer genital area after a shower/bath, and dry the area well to prevent irritation. Don’t use scented or harsh soaps, such as those with deodorant or antibacterial action.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet. Doing so avoids spreading fecal bacteria to your vagina.
- Wear cotton and loose-fitting clothing.
- Do not wear underwear to bed.
- Eat yogurt that contains active lactobacillus cultures. This sometimes may help reduce recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Lactobacillus is a type of “good” bacteria that’s common in your vagina.
- Treat constipation with Milk of Magnesia 1 tsp orally prior to bedtime for 1 week.