Did you know that June is Acne Awareness Month in Maryland? Now you do! Over 40 million people in America are affected by this skin condition, regardless of age or gender, however almost 85% of people aged 12 to 24 years old are affected the most by acne. Here’s what you need to know!
Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil, bacteria, and / or dead skin cells.
It most commonly appears on the face, chest, and back and can be influenced by factors such as hormonal changes, genetics, and certain medications. Acne can affect people of all genders and skin tones.
What Are the Different Types of Acne?
There are several different types of acne that vary in severity.
- Blackheads: Clogged pores that remain open, creating a dark appearance due to oxidation of the trapped material
- Cysts: Deep and pus-filled lesions that can cause pain and scarring
- Nodules: Large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin that develop deep within the pores
- Papules: Small, red, raised bumps that do not contain pus
- Pustules: Red bumps with a white or yellow center filled with pus
- Whiteheads: Small, white bumps that form when pores become clogged
How Is Acne Treated in Adolescents?
Although June is Acne Awareness Month in Maryland, you’re encouraged to seek treatment for your condition anytime you need it. This may include one of or a combination of the following options:
- Over-the-counter products containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide
- Prescription-strength topical or oral medications
- In-office procedures like laser therapies including the advanced AviClear treatment
June Is Acne Awareness Month in Maryland at Potomac Pediatrics – Join Us in Celebrating!
Take control of your skin this month and every other month at Potomac Pediatrics with more educational resources and the latest treatments, including AviClear!
Book your consultation today by calling 301-279-6750!